Skip to main content

Relationships

I decided to write about my relationship with my husband, Earl.

And tell you how we both found God.

By opening up and sharing more about me, I think this will make you feel more connected to me through this blog, especially with wholehearted honesty.

I met Earl in 2010 after connecting via Facebook.
Prior to that we were both in high school, right around the corner from each other. When I was in my final year of high school I studied a subject at his school and began to know his friends but it wasn't until a year after graduation that we actually met.




God has a way of arranging things
Our whole lives we had been around each other without knowing it. We went to the same kindergarten, same primary school, even lived in the same suburb our whole lives without meeting -- he lived two streets away from me but still we never met!

We started dating in July 2010 and at that time neither one of us was a Christian. Earl was a Catholic, however, he never had fulfillment until he found out he could just purely and simply have a relationship with Jesus.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion

Religion is man made. We simply go by what the bible says.

We have been through so much together and before we were Christian, we treated each other terribly. But then, in 2013, Earl and I decided to go to a psychic festival (God has since revealed to us that psychics are a work of darkness and not pleasing to God). Anyway, at this festival, Earl wanted to get a reading done because he was unsure what direction he wanted to take in his life. I went for a walk while he was in there and I ended up bumping into this guy, Tony. He was giving away free coffee samples and little did I know I would end up with more than just coffee :-)
He asked me if I believed in God and at that point in my life, I think I did, but I didn't consider myself a Christian whatsoever. We spoke further and I ended up telling him about Earl and how he was seeing a psychic. Tony told me his cousin Shane was there and that they would pray for Earl if he didn't feel right after his reading.
Afterwards, I went back to Earl and I have never seen anyone look so terrified. His eyes were wide and he looked so afraid. I told him that I met a Christian guy who wanted to pray for him. Earl was hesitant at first but decided to meet him. When we went back to Tony, we also met his cousin Shane and they proceeded to tell us about how there is a narrow path and a wide path. Only few will find the narrow path but the wide path leads to destruction. They also told us that we could have a relationship with God. In the end, they prayed for us and anointed us both with oil.
Shane has since become our brother in Christ and leads the fellowship we are part of on Wednesday nights. 

That day though, Earl became a Christian and was baptised in March 2014. It took me almost a year later until God drew me near to Him and I accepted Him. 
The first year in Earl's walk with Christ, I persecuted him all the time, we would argue all the time and it was because we were unequally yoked. We were close to ending our relationship a few times, but Earl never stopped praying for me. 

It wasn't until September 2014 that Earl had begun fasting for 2-3 days (I had no idea at the time). Earl decided with God that if after one week, if nothing had changed then he would end our relationship. So on the 20th of September 2014, Earl and I were sitting in my living room discussing God and marriage. I stopped arguing with him, I stopped persecuting him. 

I had no more energy to fight or be angry
I gave my life to God that day

I was baptised in October and one month later, Earl and I were engaged. (Another story for another blog). Six months later we got married and thirteen months down the track we were expecting Elijah. God is amazing in how He orchestrates things. And it goes to show that it is all in His timing, according to His will.


This photo was taken right after I was baptised.

My relationship with God has not been an easy one, however, I would not change a single thing. Having faith isn't about only believing in God when you receive blessings, it's about believing in God even when you go through trials. That's why it's called faith.
I am still growing as a godly woman and will never fully understand God until the day I see Him in heaven. He is the way, the truth and the life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INTRODUCTION Hi there :) My name is Shani and I am a 26 year old woman. I am a Christian, married to a wonderful man called Earl, have a 2.5 year old son called Elijah and expecting our second baby in October 2018. Why have I started this blog? This day and age it is hard to find bold, young Christians let alone young married women. I want to be a voice for young Christian women but also young married women. I am not here to force you to believe in God. I am not here to judge you. But I will share with you what I believe in and I will also share my day to day life including my journey with my pregnancy so far. I am here to listen, laugh, offer advice and godly counsel. So, with all the 'ground rules' covered, let's begin, shall we? :-) Instagram: @graceoflifeministry Facebook: @graceoflifeAU Twitter: @christianmum91